Hong Kong tourism enjoys mini-revival but number of visitors nearly 100 per cent down on last year
Hong Kong tourism enjoyed a mini-revival in June with 80 per cent more visitors than the previous month, but that was still nearly 100 per cent down on 2019.
Latest figures from the city’s tourist board, which were released on Wednesday, showed that 14,600 people visited last month, compared with 8,100 in May. June’s numbers represented a 99.7 per cent drop year on year.
Overall in the first six months of the year, arrivals were down 90 per cent at 3.52 million from the same period in 2019, the board said.
Get the latest insights and analysis from our Global Impact newsletter on the big stories originating in China.
With Hong Kong now battling a third wave of coronavirus infections, and with stricter social-distancing measures in place, the board has been forced to postpone a campaign designed to boost the flagging industry by encouraging residents to spend and travel locally.
The tighter rules have placed tougher restrictions on restaurants, which can only serve takeaway between 6pm and 5am, and has seen 12 different types of venues ordered to close.
Major attractions, including theme parks Ocean Park and Hong Kong Disneyland Resort have been shut. Ocean Park was closed on Tuesday for a week, while Disneyland is shut until further notice.
The two parks only resumed operations on June 18 after keeping visitors away for almost five months.
For authorities, the number of untraceable Covid-19 infections ” 78 of 222 local cases recorded between July 6 and July 14 are of unknown origin ” has caused concern, while the 40 local infections recorded on Tuesday was the second highest in Hong Kong. A record 41 local transmissions were reported a day earlier.
The new infections pushed the total number of coronavirus cases in Hong Kong to 1,569, with eight related deaths.
Purchase the 120+ page China Internet Report 2020 Pro Edition, brought to you by SCMP Research, and enjoy a 30% discount (original price US$400). The report includes deep-dive analysis, trends, and case studies on the 10 most important internet sectors. Now in its 3rd year, this go-to source for understanding China tech also comes with exclusive access to 6+ webinars with C-level executives, including Charles Li, CEO of HKEX, James Peng, CEO/founder of Pony.ai, and senior executives from Alibaba, Huawei, Kuaishou, Pinduoduo, and more. Offer valid until 31 August 2020. To purchase, please click here.
More Articles from SCMP
What next for Philippines’ ABS-CBN, the network that fell afoul of Duterte?
Under national security law, Hong Kong can be pro-democracy without being anti-China
Asia-Pacific firms can become ESG global citizens, Deutsche Bank regional ESG head says
China urges other nations to oppose US calls for more sanctions on Iran
Chinese Super League finally kicks off on July 25, but with no schedule for second stage yet
This article originally appeared on the South China Morning Post (www.scmp.com), the leading news media reporting on China and Asia.
Copyright (c) 2020. South China Morning Post Publishers Ltd. All rights reserved.
Maserati supercars don’t come around very often. In the past, the automaker was turning themRead More
Spurs clash with Orient off due to positive Covid tests at League 2 club
Spurs Carabao Cup game off due to COVID-19 Tottenham’s Carabao Cup match with Leyton OrientRead More